Photo courtesy of Crown Photography
|UM Cheer Squad featured on MTV
The University of Montana cheer squad was 1 of 2 finalists in a reality TV show hosted by Paula Abdul that aired on MTV.
Cheering in Washington-Grizzly Stadium is an unbelievable experience (Photo courtesy of Kelsey Poore)
Benefits of being a part of the UM Spirit Squad
- One of 30 exclusive NCAA "Nike Elite" Division 1 schools
- Representative of The University of Montana
- Excellent education programs
- Highly experience and qualified coaching staff (Cheer coaches are AACCA safety and liability certified)
- Access to the spirit squad trainer and UM Athletics team physician
- Access to certified nutritionist
- Access to the student-athlete weight room (conditioning, strength and weight training with a UM athletic trainer 2 times per week)
- Travel: All lodging, transportation and meals are provided for all trips
- The UM Cheer Squad travels to the majority of away football games; such as Montana State, Sacramento State, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Weber State, Idaho State and Portland State.
- The Cheer Squad also represents the "Spirit Squad" at all post-season football games including the FCS National Championship.
- Past trips have also included Arizona, Louisiana, Maine, Virginia, Tennessee and Hawaii.
- Competition oportunities at the state, regional, and national levels:
- 1999 UCA College Cheerleading Nationals (Florida)
- 2004 & 2006 USA College Cheerleading Nationals (Las Vegas)
- Opportunities for private clinics with high-quality coaches, such as UCA Collegiate level staff members
- Opportunities to coach and judge high school and all-star tryouts and camps
The Spirit Squad represents the University of Montana at numerous community events
UM Cheer Squad Description
Thank you for your interest in the University of Montana Cheer Squad, home of the 1995 & 2001 FCS Football National Champions and the 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 & 2009 National Runner-Ups! Cheering for the Grizzlies is an exciting way to make college life an unforgettable experience. It is not hard to understand why everyone gets caught up in the excitement, considering the quality of the sports programs here. The Grizzly football team has won the Big Sky Conference Championship 12 of the past 13 years and has traveled to the National Championship 7 times. The Cheer Squad was proud to be there each year and cheered the Griz on to a National Championship in 1995 and 2001.
We average over 25,000 fans in Washington-Grizzly football stadium, the second-largest attendance in all of NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision! Our football attendance is first in the Big Sky Conference by a large margin. The Griz and Lady Griz basketball teams also average very high in conference attendance. The basketball teams are also very exciting to cheer for. The Lady Griz and Griz for the Big Sky Conference title every year. The Griz basketball team won the conference tournament last year and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. These programs, along with many other sports, make Grizzly Athletics #1 in the Northwest for excitement.
As you can tell, there are some exciting possibilities for cheerleading at Montana. It is very rewarding, but it is also a lot of work and a big time commitment. The squad consists of 6 girls and 6 guys for the year-long cheer season. We also take up to 6 girls and 6 guys for alternate positions. The squad practices together three times a week and there can be up to 6 games a week to cheer when sports overlap. The Cheer Squad attends all home football, volleyball and men's/women's basketball games. There are many fund-raisers and appearances throughout the community also. Members may also take "Cheer Squad" as a class for two upper division credits per semester.
Some people get a rush of adrenaline when they get in front of a crowd of thousands, while others get addicted to partner stunting. College cheerleading incorporates many lifts and throws in partner stunting. Though we do not have a weight limit, because of the lifting and flying involved, we expect all applicants to be in top physical shape at tryouts.
EACH STUNT WILL GET TWO ATTEMPTS AS NEEDED. IF STUNT REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT MET, CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO THOSE WITH EXCEPTIONAL POTENTIAL. GOOD LUCK TO ALL APPLICANTS! Click below for the 2014-15 requirements:
The squad performing a stunt during the 2013 season against Appalachian State
The Cheer Squad helping to make a lifelong memory for a young fan.
- Online Stores
Fall soccer schedule rife with opportunities
The Montana soccer team did everything it could to grow its fan base last fall. The Grizzlies won...
Gregory named to Division I Academic All-Americ...
University of Montana guard Jordan Gregory has been named to the prestigious, 15-player Capital...
Lady Griz host final regular-season home games
The Montana women's basketball team will play its final regular-season home games this week when ...
Griz softball travels to California to compete ...
After not traveling to Louisiana to compete last weekend due to weather, the Montana Griz (1-9)...
Montana at Idaho on Thursday
First place in the Big Sky Conference will be on the line as the Montana Grizzlies (16-10/12-3...
Griz in Flagstaff for Big Sky indoor championships
The Montana track and field teams will compete this week at the Big Sky Conference indoor...
Breunig named BSC co-player of the week
OGDEN, Utah - The Big Sky Conference has selected the University of Montana's Martin Breunig the...
2015 Griz track and field photo gallery ::...
The Big Sky Conference indoor track and field championships will be held Thursday through...